The Island Hammock Pet Hospital is designated a “Cat Friendly Practice” by the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP).
The Island Hammock Pet Hospital is the only Veterinary hospital/clinic in all of the Florida Keys to be designated as a Cat Friendly practice.
Cats instinctively do not show vulnerability and are very good at hiding pain and discomfort. It is often hard for owners to know if their cat is ill or in pain. As cat owners know, taking their cats to the vet can be stressful for the owners as well as their feline friends. The stress starts with trying to get the cat into the carrier and the ride to the veterinarian. Cats are often highly sensitive to unusual sights, sounds and smells and prefer quiet and solitude. Upon arrival at the vet, these sensitivities become very pronounced. The AAFP established the Cat Friendly Practice program to help veterinary practices meet the wide range of unique needs of cats in a veterinary practice setting.
To achieve the “Cat Friendly Practice” designation, Island Hammock Pet Hospital proved we have taken specific extra steps to assure we understand a cat's unique needs, have implemented feline-friendly standards and have made changes to decrease stress and provide a more calming environment.
Our staff has been trained in feline-friendly handling and understanding cat behavior in order to increase the quality of care for your cat, by:
- Understanding the unique needs of cats and have made veterinary visits more cat-friendly.
- Understanding how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, empathetic and caring manner.
- Having an appropriate standard of equipment needed to investigate and treat feline patients.
- Meeting a standard for the facilities and care for hospitalized cats.
Island Hammock Pet Hospital IHPH fosters a low stress environment by:
- Counseling owner on how to reduce stress when transporting their cats
- Helping cats to feel safe while at the pet hospital
- Separating Cats and Dogs from close proximity while in the facility
- Mitigating foreign or threatening smells
- Handling all animals gently, with care and respect
- Understanding and providing the unique medical requirements of Cats
About the AAFP:
The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) is a professional organization representing feline practitioners who are passionate about the care of cats. The AAFP is dedicated to advancing the field of feline medicine and surgery by setting the standards of feline care through the publication of practice guidelines, position statements, and by providing continuing education.